Heal Effectively and Regain Stability from Injury.
Your feet and ankles work in tandem in order to provide your body with mobility and support. Each of your feet contains:
- 33 joints
- 26 bones
- More than 100 tendons, ligaments, and muscles
If you are suffering from trauma to your feet or ankles, you could be dealing with a soft tissue injury or fracture.
Causes of Trauma
The most common cause of trauma to the foot or ankle is an injury sustained during sporting activity or by tripping and falling. Other causes include:
- Sudden impact
- Rolling the ankle
- Landing awkwardly after a jump
- Walking on an uneven surface
- Jumping from a high height
- Impact from a heavy object
Symptoms of Trauma
If you are suffering from trauma, you may exhibit the following symptoms:
- Trouble walking on the injured foot or ankle
Treating Foot and Ankle Trauma
The first step in treating trauma is often the use of the RICE method. This stands for:
- R: Resting the area
- I: Icing the affected area as soon as possible, and then for 15-20 minutes every few hours to reduce inflammation
- C: Compression with the use of an elastic bandage
- E: Elevating the affected foot or ankle in order to reduce swelling
Your next step should be to contact your foot doctor so that he can determine the severity of your injury and develop a plan of care. With the use of imaging tests such as x-rays, CT scans, and MRIs, your doctor will be able to see exactly which areas require attention.
Treating Trauma Injuries
At our center, we provide a customized treatment plan depending on your needs. Some injuries will only require rest, activity modification, soft casts, durable medical equipment, and pain relief medications. Other injuries will require surgery—for example, broken bones may need to be fixed with metal plates and screws, and torn ligaments may need to be surgically repaired.
At our foot and ankle center, we can manage all kinds of foot and ankle traumas that you may have sustained. We will work with you to develop a treatment plan that fully meets your needs and provides you with optimal results.